Friday, January 25, 2008

To Be or Not to Be (Jewish)

My dual heritage, Jewish and Gentile, was always problematic for me. I wasn't a 'pure' Jew but I was technically Jewish enough because my mother was. I think that gave me the right to make "aliyah" to Israel if I wanted, whereas someone with only a Jewish father would not be accepted as easily.

So what does it mean to be Jewish? (Hardly anyone wants to be called "a Jew") No one wants to be judged on the basis of ethnicity alone since this could be comically offensive, and it would lead to stereotyping which leads to much worse things.

So if ethnicity and genealogy are out what is left to "Jewishness?"

Tradition, as symbolized by one or more of the Jewish holidays would be one thing. For example, Passover, which can be celebrated as a kind of yearning for freedom by all people. You could make some modifications to the Haggadah (namely references to the "chosen people") that would make it more inclusive in spirit. And the food is great! Learn about matzo ball soup, egg soup and haroseth.

Or you could just associate with Jewish people and cultivate some Jewish friends. Call this Jewishness by association.

Also if you are a member of a synagogue it shows...that you belong to a synagogue. (You may be completely secular and that's OK too.)

And even just saying "I want to be Jewish" is enough of a signal without having to go through all the motions. Most people would probably accept your desire. Especially if you were a nice person with even just a little sense of humor.

Of course you shouldn't feel you need to change your personality to adapt to the image of Jewishness you have in your mind. Some people will always be a little more or a little less Jewish than others. Basically I feel that if you practice the golden rule you will be as Jewish as you need to be.

My visitor today was our rabbi. We discussed many topics: sex, marriage, Jewishness, God, films and our past histories. Whatever may happen to ethnicity or genealogy as a component of Jewishness, its practice as a discipline and code of conduct will endure...

Shabbat Shalom,...Hey!

3 comments:

Cassandra Jupiter said...

Hi Frank, Josh and I really enjoyed this post. I have a lot of reactions to it. First off, how "Jewish" am I? Not very. No background, no training, no Jewish mom. But I did marry a Jew, I send my daughter to Jewish preschool and I have learned a lot about Jewish culture and traditions. But I'll never be accepted as a Jew unless I fulfill the technicalities. Although, I think it's interesting that most "modern-day" or assimilated Jews don't practice kashrut. I think those rules were meant to be inclusive and socially defining/confining so that you couldn't even do something basic, like eating outside of your tribe. So maybe as time goes on, some of the technicalities that bar me from becoming an authentic Jew may fall by the wayside but probably not in my lifetime. It is interesting to me that Josh would marry me, having been raised Jewish, born from a Jewish mom, along with all of his other noteworthy Jewish qualifications like he can read Hebrew, etc. Here's a terrible Jewish stereotype I heard from a co-worker. The reason why they made Jewish women the source of Jewishness is because no one would want to marry them otherwise.

Farnk said...

Whoa...that final sentence is really loaded. Do you mind if I show it to you know who? (Your goose is cooked.) You could easily learn Hebrew with an adult ed course at your synagogue and even have a Bat Mitzvah! That would be something...(I had one at age 42 ((but I had a Jewish mother)) )Alternatively Rabbi Chasan has a communal mikvah every August which is a very quick way for a woman to be Jewish. With a small donation you could even receive a certificate verifying your authenticity.

Thank you for taking the time to comment my blog. Will keep trying.

Cassandra Jupiter said...

Frank, my goose was burned and charred many moons ago. :)