Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Hype

Can anyone believe how much hype there is about the Superbowl? In fact, it's all hype designed to temporarily distract you from your woes while being entertained bymen playing bumper bodies or balls flying through the air. The only thing halfway exciting is watching a player sit on the bench after being taken out of play looking like a Kabuki actor with black smudges under his eyes and steam gusting out of his mouth. The camera cuts away after he spits. Is this what football fans look forward to all year? What a letdown after it's over (but I suppose it's the human condition to feel sad after excitement.) Actually I get more pleasure fro listening to a small child sing Mocking Bird than from viewing this spectacle. But I guess this is what sells HDTVs. Just think, in the HDTV ads would it be better to show football players or soemone being interviewed on the Newshour. I'll get my thrill from not watchibng and convincing myself that I've outgrown such ephemera.

1 comment:

Cassandra Jupiter said...

Nice post!
I like how all the junky snacks go on sale at the supermarket- woo hoo!