Sunday, June 1, 2008

My new toy

Recently my son gave me a new laptop with the ability to receive TV signals - as I said I was planning to get to replace my small TV set which I keep in the kitchen. I had visions of a TV display with bright, hi-def images that I could also use to browse the Internet when I wanted to. He said that he would find me one and not to worry about it. So I let him as I thought it would please him to see me happy and he is proud of his shopping expertise.
Alas, the computer does not function as a TV very well. It's very finicky and sometimes the TV function can't be connected until the show is almost over - if then. At other times the image and sound tend to freeze up for a second or so, making watching a show more of an ordeal than a pleasure. The image, when you can get it, is also hard to focus on unless you are at the exact right angle to the screen. Otherwise, it tends to fad into mud.
I pleaded with him at least to buy it at Costco, because of their return policy, in case I didn't like it; but, apparently, he had other ideas and must have bought it at the cheapest place he could find. I appreciate his generosity but now I don't know what to do. It will probably work as a great computer...but I didn't need one. It's one of those things that you just don't know what to do. Suggestions welcome.

2 comments:

Editor said...

I've had the same experience. I've invested quite a bit of time (and a little money too) trying to get my TV to record shows so I don't have to pay a monthly fee for my Tivo-equivalent from my cable company. But you know, the current options are all buggy for some reason. Disappointing...

Or maybe reassuring? That specialized devices still have some place in this world, that my toaster is still just a toaster, and not a printer or a jukebox or a telephone...

Cassandra Jupiter said...

I hate to say I told you so but I did. Now how can I get my lamp to function as a couch? It'd be great to just lie somewhere and have a reading light, built right in.