Sunday, August 17, 2008

As the world turns...

So much of life occurs gradually, instead of all at once; and it's real significance may be little noted at the time.  For years I went to a hardware store in our shopping center that was reminiscent of an old-time general store:  There was no organization to the aisles and things were sometimes piled at random making passage a little difficult.  The light was low, the spirit subdued, but people always found what they needed.  An aging woman sat at the register with a small dog poking its head out of a carry-all bag on the floor.  Her name was Irene.  Her face was as wrinkled as a prune, she wore rimless glasses and I never could tell if she had been married.  Sometimes she talked about buying gifts for nieces or relatives.  She also took care of her mother and I remember when I was going through the final stages with my own mother we sometimes exchanged stories.  Irene retired about three years ago and a new hardware chain took over the store and modernized it - brightened the light level and managed to hire a couple of smiling, polite girls at the register to replace the likes of Irene.  I ever thought I would like it as much but when I went there to buy a couple of small screws on this, now overcast, Sunday morning I enjoyed their smiling faces and the slight embarrassment of one when she couldn't quite remember my last name.  I found what I needed right away.  I didn't think of Irene until I got home.  I wonder how she's doing now.  I don't really miss her because "a pretty girl is like a melody."  But I  thought about her and I hope she is well.

No comments: