Friday, February 8, 2008

Ridin' the range...

I've always thought the purpose of life - once we're beyond the biological imperative to reproduce - is to discover as much about how life works as you can. If there's anything I've learned it's not to be prey to your emotions. This is much easier said than done for if we were to eliminate all emotion from our lives we would be zombies and who cannot help but sigh when listening to the Moonlight Sonata or feel a rush of exhilaration at a great Broadway musical like My Fair Lady or Fiddler. But there are other areas where we can defend against becoming victims of our impulses such as investing. We all know the "market" has to go up and down in order to be a market. And right now you hear a lot of grumbling about people losing money in their retirement portfolios. (They hardly ever say anything when the market is up) Yet, this is a good time for real investors unless you think that after the sun sets it won't come up again in the morning. Believe me, it'll come back stronger than ever. Can you believe it, or would you rather just go with your depression about not having granite countertops, central air or a minivan with a mobile kiddie theater? What's that? You have those things already? Yeah, I know, it's a tough world, but hang in there!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, my life would be so complete to have a minivan with a kiddie theater--I guess it's my last step, according to your rubric, to achieving nirvana! Yes, I have been reading your blog--is it making you feel better?