Sunday, February 24, 2008

The radiant city...

Everyone has a place in their imagination that fills them with awe and excitement as well as a nostalgia for "home." For me this place is New York City. To this day the car trip to the City quickens my pulse and renews the hope of fulfilling one's dreams. Even the trip down the Thruway with its high-tech rest rooms every thirty miles or so, the way you can feel the traffic start to pick up south of Poughkeepsie, and the long downhill to the sight of the broad Hudson at the Tappan Zee bridge is a pleasureful experience. Although I was born in the City (the Bronx) I only lived there for the first five years of my life, one year in Astoria, Queens, in 1949 and one and one half years in 1966-67 at the 92nd Street Y but I can always hear the roar of the subway train on the express tracks, my neck remembers the stiffness from looking up at the tall buildings and I can see the flags fluttering at Rockefeller Center behind the gigantic statue of Atlas holding up the world at the Fifth Avenue entrance. The City exudes the radiance of a culture bursting with energy. At least, this is the way I like to think of it in my imagination. So many things are gone now that I remember with affection: the Automat where you could get a sliced egg sandwich with a bit of lettuce and tomato for five nickels, the thick wooden turnstile in a subway station that you would snap free when your nickel went in the slot, the red trolley cars with the lower center doors on Tremont Avenue in the Bronx and the varnished caned seats inside, the movie palaces along Broadway - even double-decker buses along Fifth Avenue! The rest of America, out West, was something you could only dream about visiting one day or glimpse through a "Viewmaster." Every civilization in history has had a beginning, a greatest era and a decline. New York is just one of many great cities now and the people trodding the ramps at Grand Central are different but the memory and the hope still linger over the City like the haze from the East River on a steamy summer day. I was not fortunate enough to be able to live and work in the radiant City but I know but, in a way, that makes it all the more stimulating to me.

2 comments:

Haik Bedrosian said...

Awesome post! Very vivid imagery. I love New York from having visited dozens of times, and I also feel a pang of regret for not having moved there in the 90s/my 20s like Ben, Josh and Ari. For some reason I went and crashed with Robin in Austin instead, but by that point the decade was winding down and all my plans were half-baked, so although it is a lovely city, Austin didn't work out so well for me. All well. Hope you get a big juicy bite of Apple to fill you up on your visit, Frank.

Cassandra Jupiter said...

Hi Frank, I too feel a lot of excitement going into NYC, but only if I enter NY in a very specific way: driving in early evening (just before sunset) on the FDR with little traffic. As I approach downtown, the sun has set, the lights on the financial buildings have come on and I feel the power and excitement of the Gotham city that Robert Moses intended for this parkway.